Thursday, July 21, 2011

New Balance Minimus Trail

Like many who read Christopher McDougall's book "Born to Run" a couple of years ago, I became interested in the minimal running shoe trend. I quickly bought a pair of Vibram Five Fingers' KSOs. I enjoyed wearing them around the house, and working out in them, but I ended up stubbing my toes whenever I tried running trails with them.

Soon, other companies began to spill out various versions of minimal footwear that were more accessible than VFFs. They tended to be easier to fit into, plus they looked like real shoes so you didn't have to answer as many questions about them. Last summer I got a pair of Inov-8's X-Talon 212s. These were light weight and very flexible, plus I really liked the super sticky outsole on more technical trails. I ran two 50 mile races in them last year with no problems. Interestingly, the only race I did have problems in last year was at the Surf the Murph 50 miler that I wore my very non-minimal Cascadia's by Brooks. I developed some overuse injury in my left foot after that race that prevented me from running for over a month.

This year I was going to get another pair of Inov-8 X-Talons until I started seeing ads for the New Balance Minimus shoes. I developed a pretty good case of shoe lust. They looked like the VFFs but with laces and without the individual toes. They have almost no cushioning, just a regular looking shoe over a Vibram outsole.

I've been wearing them on my runs, trails and roads, almost exclusively since I got them three weeks ago. They are very minimal; 7.1 oz with a 4mm heel drop and I have yet to have any problems with them. The real test was last weekend when I wore them during the Half Voyageur Trail Marathon. They performed very well with on the steep, muddy hills of the power lines, and on the wet rocks of the very technical trail right before you get to Carlton. They also dried very quickly after the inevitable streams and mud ponds.

Though I really like the Inov-8 X-Talons, I am going to be sticking with the NB Minimus for a while. I will definitely be wearing them during the full Voyageur 50 mile race next weekend. 

One note - they are designed to be a sock optional shoe. I have been wearing very light weight socks with mine, as I found that when I didn't I would get some rubbing in various places on my foot. At the Half Voyageur I wore Injinji toes sock, and didn't have any blisters at the end. As a bonus, I did have all of my toe nails.

New Balance also makes a Minus Life shoe, meant to be worn for walking. I am looking at getting a pair of these as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment